Sunday, January 31, 2010

All there is.

So here I am, 4 months into my exchange.. In a few days, I will be at the halfway point. So looking back, how has it been? Well its difficult to answer that question really. Off the top of my head, I would say its been great! Going into it deeper, i'd say its been a journey.
I do feel like I have changed being here, which is what I had initially hoped. Now I might add, change is not always the best thing, but for the most part change is far superior to the alternative.
Here are my thoughts looking back so far.
September: This month was exciting, to say the least. So much happened, with so much anticipation. Yes, there was culture shock and all that. However, I was so ecstatic about being in a new country it was put to the side so to speak..
By November, it did begin to hit me.. I was in Spain, everyone here speaks spanish, and I got a long ways to go..
There are advantages to the people here knowing limited english, and that being you can speak your mind directly to people's faces. If you are at a restaurant with your friends and the food is bad, or the prices are high you can say it outloud and discuss it amongst yourself with out worrying about other people listening. Basically, you can say whatever you want and nobody realizes what you are saying.
Anyways, back to what I was talking about before.
I guess I will talk about the homesickness portion for a moment.
Homesickness, I'd say all the exchange kids here get it from time to time. It's inevitable, no matter how bad or how much you didnt like wherever you were before this.. You get homesick.
It usually lasts a day or two, then you get over it and realize hey! I'm in Spain, and I'll be back soon enough. A couple weeks later, the whole being in Spain thing gets to you and you start thinking about home again and so on and so forth..
School: The school here, it sucks. Really, it does. It might not for some of the other kids, in other schools in spain, but at least for me.. I hate it, which ya you might say.. Well, didnt you hate school back home as well? Yes, I did, but secretly a part of me enjoyed going and hanging out with my friends and going through the motions. Well, here.. I am having a very hard time sticking with it.
Spanish kids are.. strange to say the least. Ok, maybe not all spanish kids, maybe its just the gaditanos..

I think I'm getting a little off track.

I will skip forward to now. Its the weekend.. Saturday night, Sunday morning. 2:45 AM
I got home from my soccer game (we won 3-2) and my host sister had a few of the other exchange students over for a movie night. They were watching Fired Up, after I showered I decided to join them.. mainly for the chocolate cereal and candy :P just kidding. but not really. Its hard to pass that stuff up.
So, I'm not sure if I mentioned this earlier, but I did switch families a couple weeks ago. My old family, well... it just wasnt working out.
My new family is better, my host parents own a restaurant, which after school my host sister and I go to for lunch.
My host sister is a German exchange student, and we attempt to speak spanish to each other...

que mas... umm, I think thats pretty much all I've got on my mind for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment